Who can apply?
Community organisations can apply for any charitable purpose within the Hawke’s Bay region, as defined by the area within the jurisdiction of the Hawke’s Bay Regional Council – this includes Hastings District, Napier City, Wairoa District and Central Hawkes Bay.
Individuals cannot apply.
If you are unsure if you can apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our philosophy is to provide assistance to heal problems rather than manage them – that is, to give ‘a hand up not a hand out’. The Trustees have a preference for initiatives that assist groups and communities that are working towards meeting their own needs and have sustainability when the Foundation funding ceases.
- A limit of $10,000 per donation unless approved by the Trustees.
- Applications will be considered for project costs and/or for general operating costs such as salaries/wages, rent etc.
- Organisations that are acting in a ‘pass through’ function, i.e. where funding is not being used by them but is being passed on to a third party, will not be funded.
- Approved donations will be paid by direct credit to a verified bank account or handed to the recipient by cheque.
- Donations must be used within twelve months of receipt unless prior arrangements are made with the HB Foundation. If necessary, an extension request may be submitted in writing, detailing the funds usage to date and expected project completion date. Approval of any extension is not automatic and is at the discretion of the HB Foundation.
- All organisations receiving funds are required to report back after 12 months on the use to which those funds have been put. Further applications for funding will not be accepted from any organisation that has not provided a satisfactory accountability report for a previous donation. Please note that this means that although an organisation has 12 months to spend the funds and supply a satisfactory accountability report, only those organisations who are able to do so prior to the closing date of the following year’s funding round (i.e. 31 Aug) will be able to apply in that year.
- Donations do not include GST.
The Hawke’s Bay Foundation’s policy allows for consideration of funding for charitable groups that make a difference in the community with focus areas currently being community connectedness, social development, health, children and youth issues, older adults, arts and culture and the natural environment.
The Tindall Foundation funding (of $59,145pa in total for the HB region) is limited to supporting Families and Social Services which includes: Early Years, Youth Development, Literacy & Numeracy, Budgeting, Maori, Migrant, Refugee & Cross-cultural, Housing, Community Services & Development.
Tindall Foundation funds cannot be granted for: Health/Medical/Disabilities, Buildings, Business or Investment Capital, Capital Assets costing over $1500, Core Education/Scholarships, Individuals, Drama/Arts, Establishment of Charities, Loans and Endowment funds, Overseas Travel/Expenses, Religious or Political advocacy, Sport & Recreation, Retrospective claims, Venture Capital initiatives.
Applications are welcomed from organisations meeting the above criteria.
When to apply
There is one funding round per year and an application form will be available on the website here from 1 June to 31 July. Applications will close 31 August and only applications received in their entirety by that date will be considered. Applicants will be notified of the outcome by 30 November.
If you are unsure whether you can apply to Hawke’s Bay Foundation for funding, please email email@example.com or contact the Administration Office on 06 870 4648 (please leave a message if office is unattended).